Welcome to The Complete HoldCo Course: A 5-step complete holding company course for HoldCo owners, business owners, and the aspiring, who want to leverage 25+ years of experience to make more money, pay less taxes, and have more free time with their HoldCo structure.
This course is built by and designed for…
Current HoldCo Owners
Existing HoldCo owners wanting to scale, improve operations or plan for a successful exit
Single business owner-operators who want to become a HoldCo owner
Aspiring HoldCo Owners
Aspiring HoldCo owners stepping towards buying your first company
Why a Holding Company Lifestyle
Until recently, there were only two ways to practice wealth-building: own and operate a company or be an investor.
Now, the concept of Holding Companies emerges as an appealing third path.
You can live an interesting life of parallel entrepreneurship in a Holding Company structure with multiple companies in your portfolio.
Instead of primarily focusing on operations or allocating capital, you get to do both for big rewards in your professional and personal lives.
45% of businesses in America are owned by the Silver Tsunami of Baby Boomers reaching retirement age needing to be sold.
Now is a perfect time to shift to owning your Holdco model.
If you’ve come across successful Holdco owners, you’re likely looking at decades of experience and mentorship that have helped inform the business leaders’ actions.
The Complete HoldCo Course is built based on 25+ years of experience from Michael Girdley building a $100M a year holding company.
By enrolling, you can expect to set up a plan to start, operate, grow & exit your HoldCo while enjoying direct access to industry expertise and community guidance.
Example Hiring Process
Get access to Michael Girdley’s 14 steps to hiring. You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of the various stages, components and factors that are involved in his proven recruitment process when you enroll. Learn how to hire and retain A-players.
Why should you attend this course?
- Select and Design the most effective HoldCo structure
- Operate your HoldCo efficiently with standardized playbooks
- Strategically manage your cash flow and minimize tax liability
- Unlock secrets to grow and scale your HoldCo
- Devise the best exit plan for your HoldCo
- Avoid the mistakes others have made and turn them into valuable lessons
What will you learn?
- Get a rock-solid foundation of the underlying principles & operations of HoldCos
- Learn the steps to structure and start your own HoldCo
- Examine proven playbooks and practices to operate a HoldCo
- Adopt different ways to grow your HoldCo
- Know the paths to exit your HoldCo and when to use them
- Apply tips and tricks to make your HoldCo a winner
- Determine if HoldCo ownership is right for you
Hi, I’m Michael Girdley.
I’m a business entrepreneur and investor. I’m currently the Chairman and co-founder of Dura Software, the second-largest software company in San Antonio, Texas. My Holding Company includes a variety of businesses including Codeup, Effectual Ventures (a venture studio), Red Runner Coffee, Near (a talent platform), and others.
I have enabled the creation of 1,000+ new tech jobs in the San Antonio area through entrepreneurial and leadership roles at numerous companies and nonprofits. As the ex-CEO of Alamo Fireworks, the largest consumer fireworks’ retailer in Texas, where I am Chairman of the Board, I was instrumental in transitioning my family business beyond the third generation and that was my launching pad to become a successful Holding Company owner.
I was named “Man of the Year” in 2015 by the San Antonio Business Journal. I live with my wife and kids in San Antonio, fueling the local startup ecosystem growth.
This course is for you if…
- You are a multi-business owner seeking effective strategies to leverage your time and optimize your legal, accounting and team of advisors
- You have the means to create and execute an actionable plan for your 10-year-vision
- You’re looking for a no BS solution on everything from the basics to the advanced
- You want to have access to a community of like-minded individuals with shared interests
This course is NOT for you if…
- You are starting out in entrepreneurship with no resources or experience
- You are a life-long employee
- You want a zero-risk lifestyle
- You are uncomfortable living the interesting “HoldCo” lifestyle
- You don’t have any capital or access to
- You don’t have the desire to start a business
- You don’t want to put the work in
Module 1: What is a Holding Company?
In this module you will…
- Understand the meaning, purpose, types, examples, advantages and disadvantages of a holding company.
- Compare and contrast different types of HoldCo.
- Get familiar with the daily routine of a HoldCo CEOs, and how it differs from the CEO of an operating business.
- Identify the key opportunities to allocate capital.
- Know how to solve the dreaded ‘cold start problem’ to launch and scale your HoldCo.
Lesson 1.1: What is a Holding Company?
Lesson 1.2: Why and when you need a HoldCo?
Lesson 1.3: HoldCo types and examples
Lesson 1.4: Comparing Each Type of HoldCo
Lesson 1.5: Advantages of a Holding Company Structure
Lesson 1.6: Disadvantages of a Holding Company
Lesson 1.7: CEO of a HoldCo versus CEO of an Operating Business
Lesson 1.8: How HoldCo CEOs Spend Their Days
Lesson 1.9: The Capital Allocation Game
Lesson 1.10: The Cold Start Problem
Module 2: Starting your HoldCo
In this module you will learn 7 steps of starting your HoldCo including…
- How to make a plan.
- Analyze your needs.
- Develop a proposed organizational design.
- Hire a structuring attorney.
- Engage a tax advisor.
- Review with your HoldCo team of advisors.
- File and operate.
Lesson 2.1 Step 1: Making a Plan
Lesson 2.2 Step 2: Analyze your Needs
Lesson 2.3 Step 3: Develop a Proposed Organizational Design
Lesson 2.35 Step 3: Examples of Real World Structures and Best Practices
Lesson 2.4 Step 4: Hire a Structuring Attorney
Lesson 2.5 Step 5: Engage a Tax Advisor
Lesson 2.6 Step 6: Review with Your HoldCo Team of Advisors
Lesson 2.7 Step 7: File and Operate
Module 3: Operating your HoldCo
In this module you will…
- Appreciate the standardized playbook for companies to get the variability out of the business operations and achieve maximum results.
- Understand the interaction model to define the way your portfolio companies will interact with each other as well as holding company.
- Learn how to run productive board meetings.
- Know everything about shared services and information dependence between companies to build efficiency and lower cost.
Lesson 3.1: Standardized Playbooks for Companies
Lesson 3.2: Defining Interaction Models with your Holdings
Lesson 3.25 Quantifying Performance: Gathering Numbers and Data
Lesson 3.3: How to Run Board Meetings
Lesson 3.35: How to Structure Boards
Lesson 3.37: HoldCo Board Best Practices
Lesson 3.4: Defining Interaction Models Between Companies
Module 4: Growing your HoldCo
In this module you will…
- Learn different steps to recruit CEOs for your HoldCo and how it is different from normal hires.
- Get insights into best practices of CEO compensation strategy in line with business needs.
- Master strategies to drive organic growth.
- Learn to leverage M&A for inorganic growth and most powerful models to incubate new companies to maximize their potential.
- Understand how to act as a CEO of your portfolio company.
- Learn key methods to finance your HoldCo growth.
Lesson 4.1: How to Recruit CEOs
Lesson 4.2: CEO Compensation Strategy
Lesson 4.3: CEO Hiring Process
Lesson 4.4: Financial Considerations and Organic Growth
Lesson 4.45: Executing on Organic Growth
Lesson 4.5: Growing your HoldCo – Inorganic Growth
Lesson 4.6: Incubating new companies
Lesson 4.7: When You’re the CEO of the First Portfolio Company
Lesson 4.8: Options for Financing Growth
Module 5: Exiting your HoldCo
In this module you will…
- Get to know about different ways to exit your HoldCo – as a whole, in pieces, or generational transfer
- Understand the tax implications when exiting your HoldCo.
- Learn the common mistakes new HoldCo owners make and how to avoid them.
- Know about the best online communities to get help.
Lesson 5.1: Exiting Your HoldCo
Lesson 5.2: Common Mistakes New HoldCo Owners Make & How to Avoid Them
Lesson 5.3: Getting Help and Online Community